Help for Hobbies of all Sorts by Rene' Hobbie

Monday, April 16, 2012

Hunger Games

I didn't have any intentions of reading The Hunger Games.  Fantasy is not my favorite genre by a long stretch!  When a friend asked me if I'd read it and my reply was no, she insisted I reconsider.  Plus, so many of my elementary students who came into the library were asking me the same thing and if we had the title.  Of course, we don't, because it's not reviewed as being appropriate for primary children.  Curiosity got the best of me.  I read the book first, saw the movie, and really liked them both!  I'm now on the second book, Catching Fire, and like it even better than the first.  So, even if fantasy isn't your thing, you might be surprised about The Hunger Games! 


Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.  (Review taken from http://www.goodreads.com/)

No comments: